I have never had much success with homemade gluten-free/vegan pizza crusts. Nearly every pizza crust I have attempted has ended up tasting a bit like cardboard to me. I had totally given up on finding the perfect pizza crust recipe until I was recently scrolling through my Instagram feed when I saw an amazing looking pizza posted by Ashley, blogger of Blissful Basil. Ashley used a tortilla as the crust for her pizza and said it only took 15 minutes to cook. I was sold on the idea and headed to the store right away to pick up brown rice tortillas!
This pizza is by far my favorite homemade pizza and it will not fail to impress you. My boyfriend and I love it so much, we’ve made tortilla pizzas 3 times just this past week! Plus, it’s even easier to make if you have your veggies already washed and chopped!
I’m sharing my favorite tortilla pizza variation but feel free to get creative and use whatever you have on hand. You can make this even easier by using store bought vegan cheese such as Daiya or Follow Your Heart instead of making the cashew cream!
Tortilla Pizza (Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Soy-Free)
Inspired by Blissful Basil
1 brown rice tortilla
1 can organic pizza sauce (I use Muir Glen)
1 batch homemade cashew cream
1 zucchini, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 small tomato, sliced
1 can sliced black olives
Italian herb seasoning
Nutritional yeast (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
2. Meanwhile, make the cashew cream by blending 1 cup soaked cashews with roughly 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/4 cup nutritional yeast. Add another splash of almond milk if it’s too thick. Salt to taste. Set aside.
3. Spread a spoonful of pizza sauce onto the tortilla and then sprinkle Italian herbs over the sauce. Next, layer cashew cream over the pizza sauce. Then, top the pizza with all of your desired veggies.
4. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, raise the heat to 400 degrees and bake for an additional 4 minutes or until the edges look crisped and the veggies looked cooked.
5. Top each pizza with nutritional yeast and enjoy!