Since the end of summer is nearing, I thought it was time to take advantage of all the sweet berries in season and use them in a dessert. I turned to my favorite baking ingredient, oats and maple syrup to create a crisp mixed berry crumble. This recipe is so easy to make and can be easily interchanged with whatever berries you have on hand!
Mixed Berry Crisp (Vegan, Gluten-Free and Refined Sugar-Free)
Adapted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook pg. 243 “Mother Nature’s Apple Crumble”
1 cup gluten-free oats
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt (or sea salt)
3 pints berries of choice (I used blackberry and blueberry)
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil a baking dish.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the berries with coconut sugar. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
3. In a large bowl, mix together oats, almond flour, cinnamon and salt. Once combined, pour in maple syrup and coconut oil.
4. Spread the oat mixture over the berries until they are covered.
5. Bake for 30 -45 minutes or until the topping has crisped and turned golden brown.
What’s your favorite way to use a fresh batch of berries?