Yesterday I shared my recipe for Tofu Lettuce Cups on guest blogger Hanna’s blog! They’re perfect for summer and reminiscent of PF Chang’s vegetarian lettuce wraps. They’re made with healthy and wholesome ingredients so you won’t find any processed ingredients in these. Read on for the recipe!
Growing up, my family and I frequently ate at PF Changs since it was close by and everyone had something they liked there. My go-to was always the veggie lettuce wraps which were filled with flavorful veggies and tofu. Unfortunately while the wraps are vegetarian, I’m not positive they are vegan and they definitely aren’t gluten-free so I haven’t eaten them in a few years. So I sought out to make a healthy, plant-based version free of gluten or processed ingredients. These are light and healthy but totally delicious! Plus, they are easy to make and inexpensive which is even better!
Vegan Tofu Lettuce Cups
Serves 8 as an appetizer, 4 as an entree
For the filling:
1 14 oz package firm tofu
1/3 cup frozen peas
1 small carrot, washed and peeled
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained
4 crimini mushrooms
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the sauce:
1/2 cup low sodium tamari
2 tablespoons chili sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 heads of butter leaf lettuce, washed and dried*
Optional garnishes: Red pepper flakes, scallions, lime
1. Drain the tofu and press it by wrapping it in a paper towel or clean kitchen towel. Place a heavy object such as a cookbook and can on top and let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop the water chestnuts finely and slice the mushrooms. Place into a medium sized bowl.
3. Make the sauce by adding all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
4. Once finished pressing, crumble the tofu into the bowl of water chestnuts and mushrooms. Mix together and then pour in half of the sauce. Set aside the remaining sauce for later use. Let marinate for 10-15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile heat coconut oil over medium heat in a wok or large skillet. Chop the onion finely and let saute for 5-6 minutes until translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute for an additional minute. Next, add the frozen peas and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
6. Add in the tofu mixture and turn the heat up to medium-high. Saute for 10-12 minutes or until the veggies have softened and any remaining liquid from the marinade has cooked off. Once completed, remove from heat.
7. Fill each lettuce leaf with the sauteed tofu and veggies. Add garnishes such as scallions, red pepper flakes and a squeeze of lime if desired. Drizzle each lettuce cup with the remaining sauce. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Note: Feel free to substitute cabbage for butter leaf lettuce. Make sure to wash each leaf and dry it gently before filling.