(Photo Credit: Avenue Lifestyle)
Curating a vegan wardrobe can be a daunting task. Between trying to find wool-free coats and faux-leather boots, it can be quite overwhelming and seem impossible. So today I’m sharing the true essentials that are necessary in every vegan girl’s wardrobe. If you’re new to cruelty-free shopping, it can be helpful to start with just the basics but even if you’re a long-time vegan, a little wardrobe refresh never hurts. I’ve put together a guide to the most necessary wardrobe items to have in your cruelty-free closet to help you get started!
1. Trench Coat: A coat is a necessity for every girl but it can be tricky to find wool-free ones. An easy trick is just to buy a trench coat instead! Most are made from cotton and/or polyester which are both vegan-friendly fabrics! If you can splurge, then an amazing choice would be one a coat by Vaute Couture which is a vegan high-end line by NYC designer Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart. A more budget-friendly option would be this classic trench by Steve Madden.
2. Ballet Flats: My go-to shoe has always been a ballet flat but finding a non-leather pair is tough! Nearly all of the high-quality pairs are unfortunately genuine leather. While there are fewer selections, it is possible to find a great pair of vegan flats. My favorite pair is Merona’s Madeline ballet flat but sadly most of the colors are sold out! But I also find these bow ballet flats by ModCloth adorable! Look for flats that are labelled man-made or synthetic to be sure they are vegan.
3. Dress: A simple dress that can be worn on many occasions is a necessity for every chic femme. You can never go wrong with an LBD, especially one in a fit-and-flare sihouette which is universally flattering. I love ModCloth’s Luck Be A Lady Dress which comes in a variety of colors! When dress shopping, check the label to make sure there’s no silk, wool, or other animal-based fibers in the fabric.
4. Crossbody Bag: A crossbody style bag is perfect for the girl on the go. They’re functional and pair with just about any ensemble. I absolutely adore Matt & Nat’s Phi Bag which is very verstaile because of it’s simplistic style and neutral tone. But if you are looking for something a little more affordable, this Silence + Noise Structured Moon Bag is only $54!
5. Cardigan: A good cardi is something every wardrobe needs. When cardigan shopping, make sure that it’s free of common cardigan materials such as wool and cashmere. You can often find ones that are simply made from cotton, polyester or acrylic instead! This BDG London Cardigan is affordable and cute, the perfect addition to any vegan wardrobe!
6. Boots: While most consider boots to be a fall wardrobe staple, I think a good pair of boots is necessary all year long! During the summer, I love to pair boots with dresses while in the winter of course they look great with skinny jeans and a sweater. These days it’s actually quite easy to find vegan boots! My favorite at the moment are these J.P. Original Corp. Trek Boots which are functional and stylish.
7. V-Neck Tee: Of course a v-neck tee is one of the easiest things to find that’s naturally vegan but I do think an easy upgrade would be to an organic cotton tee. They are better for the environment and comfier! I love Thread 4 Thought’s organic v-neck tee so much that I have it in multiple colors!
8. Skinny Jeans: Another basic wardrobe staple is a pair of skinny jeans. Of course everyone’s body is different so some brands may flatter your figure better than others but I really love AG Jeans since they are ethically produced. While they aren’t a 100% eco-friendly company, they do have mostly sustainable practices and are headed in the right direction. They even recently released a pair of jeans made from recycled water bottles! I love pairing their Super Skinny Jeans with a pair of ankle boots and v-neck tee for an easy outfit.
9. “Leather” Jacket: The easiest way to add a little edge to your look is with a vegan leather jacket. There are so many styles of faux leather jackets which is so awesome! I personally love Free People’s Vegan Moto Jacket since it has a worn-in appearance and is high-quality which is also important. Urban Outfitters also has quite a few vegan leather jackets worth checking out.
So there’s my essentials for every vegan wardrobe! Did I miss any of your favorite pieces? Let me know in the comments!