One of my favorite parts of fall is pumpkin carving and seed roasting. Every October I begin to crave crispy, salty pumpkin seeds and this year I’ve perfected them. Today I’m sharing this perfect pumpkin seeds recipe. The crunchy bite and warm toastiness just makes them the perfect fall snack. Plus they have many health benefits so you don’t have to feel guilty when snacking on them! Read on for the recipe!
While there are many methods to pumpkin seed roasting, my favorite way to is to boil them prior to roasting. This way, they get infused with sea salt and are even crispier once baked! It only takes an extra 10 minutes and the results make it so worth it!
Pumpkin seeds are the perfect snack because they are naturally gluten-free and high in nutrients. It’s so easy to get tempted into buying gluten-free crackers and chips when grocery shopping (I’m guilty) to have as snacks throughout the week but these are a great way to save money and be more healthful. Pumpkin seeds are high in zinc which means they will help keep you from catching the common cold that tends to go around this time of year. They also have iron so the next time someone asks you where you get your iron from as a vegan, you can reply pumpkin seeds
Perfect Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
1 sugar pie pumpkin
2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Cut the top off of the pumpkin. Begin scooping out the flesh and seeds, placing it into a large bowl. Try to only scoop out only the seeds.
2. Fill the bowl with water and swish around to loosen the seeds from the remaining flesh. Drain the seeds into a mesh strainer.
3. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the seeds and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Boil for 10 minutes.
4. While the seeds boil, preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Once seeds are done boiling, drain and rinse with cold water.
5. Transfer the pumpkin seeds to a tea towel for drying. Pat them down with the towel until they are completely dry. Transfer to the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with remaining sea salt.
6. Bake the pumpkin seeds for 20 minutes, tossing them halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 or so minutes. Enjoy!