Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside is how all breadsticks should be. Today I’m sharing this gluten-free breadstick recipe. These were a total accidental success and have quickly become a favorite for Thomas and I. They’re crispy on the outside and doughy on the inside, just like breadsticks should be. Read on for the 8 ingredient recipe!
I was on a cooking kick one day and tackling recipe after recipe. My final recipe of the day was supposed to be an easy vegan gluten-free pizza using this recipe. But I ran out of Bob’s 1-to-1 gluten-free flour so I substituted Bob’s All Purpose flour, thinking the results would be the same. I quickly discovered I was wrong though when the dough was too runny and batter-like. After finally adding enough flour to firm it up, I proceeded to form it into a crust and bake it. Meanwhile, I was making cashew cheese when I accidentally put way too much miso in the blender and it ruined the cashew cheese. I told Thomas our pizza night was failing and it might be time to call it quits on the pizza. But luckily he suggested we simply top the pizza with just marinara, vegan parmesan, and garlic salt. I did just that and sliced off a little piece to test it out and discovered it was just like a breadstick! I was so thrilled with our accidental success that I couldn’t wait to share the recipe!
The best part is that this is very easy to make! It only uses 8 ingredients (not counting water) and can be made in less than an hour! Serve it along side a salad or lasagna for a wholesome meal or serve on its own with marinara and garlic vegan butter for dipping! We loved having it just as an entree and it was perfectly satisfying!
Gluten-Free Vegan Breadstick Recipe
Serves 2-3 as an entree, 6-8 as a side
Adapted from She Likes Food
2 1/3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
1 packet active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons melted Earth Balance butter, divided
1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
Pizza sauce or marinara
Parma vegan parmesan*
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Heat 1 cup of water to approximately 100-110 degrees in a kettle or pot.
2. Add the heated water, 1/2 tablespoons of Earth Balance, maple syrup, and olive oil. Mix well using a spatula. Add a tablespoon of flour at a time if it is too runny to work with.
3. Form the dough into a ball and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper. Once the dough has risen, transfer to the lined baking sheet. Lightly dust your hands with gluten-free flour and press into an oval shape, about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Brush the dough with the remaining butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cooked through and lightly golden. Slice into breadsticks using a pizza cutter and serve with marinara. Enjoy!
*Note: If you can’t find Parma, feel free to substitute homemade vegan parmesan. Simply pulse 1/4 cup walnuts or blanched almonds, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, and a sprinkle of sea salt in a food processor.